Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Im Buying a new CPU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Im Buying a new CPU

Just wanted to know if anyone had any suggesstions for me. I have been battling with my computer for the last year when Ive been trying to do my projects. I added SDRAM, I have 2 256 cards in there and my processor is 800MHZ. It is very hard to have more than one program up and it seems to run a little jagged sometimes. Should I just get a computer with a faster processor or what? I am a web, print person. Some helpful hints will be great before I start my search.
    "The Dial up Queen"

Lisa-
    Mac or PC?

My Mac is an 800 MH processor and will run just about every program I have open all at once (well, the print and web ones) It might just be the need for memory. I have 1 GB of Ram. What versions of software?
    "No cape darling"

Comment

I am looking at an HP. I heard the AMD 64 is a good processor and the comp has 200GB hard drive and 512 SDRAM memory.
      On my current computer I use Windows millenium and my SDRAM is around 512 with a 30GB hard drive. I use the lastest versions of Illustrator and Photoshop and will be purchasing the new Macromedia stuff this summer. Ive pretty much given up on my computer.
      I figure if I get this new one, it will have enough room to save all my files on the HD and burn some to CD or dvds for backup.

I just dont wanna be running back and forth from home to school when my computer gets stuck and all that.
      "The Dial up Queen"

Comment

the amd64 chip is great...however not alot of pc applications take advatange of 64bit yet. also, get as much ram as you can afford -- especially with photoshop, you'll be thankful you did.

if you get the 200gb hard drive it would be a good idea to make a few partitions out of it, and use one of the partitions as your scratch disk for photoshop.

lemme know on what you decide.

joe

Comment

OK--Ya I don't know much about making partitions and scratch disks. I just know that adam told us to change it when it displayed on the screen.

I got the computer I discribed. Whoo Hoo! If you can explain about the partition part and if If will be beneficial to me that would be GREAT!!!!
          "The Dial up Queen"

Comment

How to partition a hard drive in Windows XP
            ‎"Give me $50 worth. Just drive."

Twitter: @ProfClayton & @cgauiw || Facebook: www.facebook.com/ProfClayton || CGAUIW Facebook Group! || CGAUIW Flickr Page || ProfClayton's Vimeo Page

Comment

Thanks for the website Mike, my question is that on the website it said that new computers already come partitioned. Should I partition my Main C drive, it shows it has 174.33 GB available space. How many partitions should I make off of that?

And can anyone tell me a bit about scratch disks. It never was really explained to me.

Thanks
              "The Dial up Queen"

Comment

Personally I would add a smaller seond hard drive, one to hold the software (read) and one to store files (write). With one drive, the computer is reading and writing from the same hard drive.

By partioning one drive into several sections of allocated space, you can better organize your stuff.

I would probably split into 3 sections: 1) System and Applications, 2) Work Stuff and 3) Personal Stuff.

Originally posted by LISA:
                And can anyone tell me a bit about scratch disks. It never was really explained to me.
                Gotta love Photoshop Help section...

When your system does not have enough RAM to perform an operation, Photoshop and ImageReady use a proprietary virtual memory technology, also called scratch disks. A scratch disk is any drive or a partition of a drive with free memory. By default, Photoshop and ImageReady use the hard drive that the operating system is installed on as its primary scratch disk.

You can change the primary scratch disk and, in Photoshop, designate a second, third, or fourth scratch disk to be used when the primary disk is full. Your primary scratch disk should be your fastest hard disk, and should have plenty of defragmented space available.

The following guidelines can help you assign scratch disks:

• For best performance, scratch disks should be on a different drive than any large files you are editing.
                • Scratch disks should be on a different drive than the one used for virtual memory.
                • Scratch disks should be on a local drive. That is, they should not be accessed over a network.
                • Scratch disks should be conventional (non-removable) media.
                • Raid disks/disk arrays are good choices for dedicated scratch disk volumes.
                • Drives with scratch disks should be defragmented regularly.

To change the scratch disk assignment:

1. Choose Edit > Preferences > Plug-Ins & Scratch Disks.
                2. Do one of the following:
                  • (Photoshop) Choose the desired disks from the menus. You can assign up to four scratch disks of any size your file system supports. Photoshop lets you create up to 200 GB of scratch disk space using those scratch disks.
                  • (ImageReady) Choose a primary scratch disk.
                3. Click OK.
                4. Restart Photoshop or ImageReady for the change to take effect.
                5. Important: The scratch disk file that is created must be in contiguous hard disk space. For this reason you should frequently optimize your hard disk. Adobe recommends that you use a disk tool utility, such as Windows Disk Defragmenter or Norton Speed Disk, to defragment your hard drive on a regular basis. See your Windows or Mac OS documentation for information on defragmentation utilities.

‎"Give me $50 worth. Just drive."

Twitter: @ProfClayton & @cgauiw || Facebook: www.facebook.com/ProfClayton || CGAUIW Facebook Group! || CGAUIW Flickr Page || ProfClayton's Vimeo Page

Comment

Working...
                X