Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MAYA book?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MAYA book?

Hi everyone i was just wondering what yalls opinion of a good Maya book!! Ive been researching and ive seen many different ones. I jsut wanan know which one would be the best for a beginner. I have the moeny to buy it and i really wanna get a head start. SO if u could help me out it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    "Out of Sight, Out of Mind"

Hi unreal nice to see you back. lets seee... hmm the books I found most use full for a good over view of everything was, Maya Fundamentals 4.5, I never read through the book, but the CD is Damn awesome. step by step intro to all the basics of maya. Technically even though maya will keep undating it self, especially now with the release 6 coming out soon, would say any book that is about maya from 4 to 6,theres no point in getting the latest book cause the format of each maya release still has the same basic structure and techniques you still need to know. The second book I'd recommed is Maya 5 for Windows and Mac by Danny Riddell. Same thing excellent over view a little more advanced then fundamentals.

Check those out and you'll on a good head start. Dont forget to do a lot of sketches and character layouts. some good examples are here, www.fineart.sk
    It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.
    -Tyler Durdan

Comment

Thanks

Thanks very much for the help... i can find those books at a mall close to my house and i remember seeing those. So those books will give me the most help? Also i saw a book called Maya 5 Savvy and i was wondering if that book was any good. I might go buy one today cuz i really wanna get started. If i do get started and i get some things modeled. Can i post stuff up here for help? and to show u guys what i have. Again thanks for the help! I will go check those books out! Thanks again! lata

Forgot to ask....is it alright if i get fundamentals 5.0 cuz i have maya 5... and which book would u recommend i get first... thanks

Comment

Maya 5 Savvy, see what most of us usually do is buy out stuff online, more then likely from Amazon.com or Ebay, I usually get my books from Amazon but from the "new and used" option for the product from the third party sellers that selll stuff through Amazon. And also you get to see customer feedback and commentaries of how people thought of the book, for instance, I just looked maya 5 savvy up and its been getting some pretty pour feedback, so I dont think I'd reccomend it.

(scroll down to the bottom of amazon to see the customer feedback)

For me I'd say thats the best way to go is buying stuff online cause about 80 percent of the time its cheaper then from retail like Borders or Barnes and Nobles.

Yeah sure you can get Maya 5 fundamentals, but like I said those fundamentals books doesnt really matter which one you get, whether you get it for version maya 4, 4.5, 5. 6, all off them will have the same exact basic tips and rules and concepts for the layout of maya. no matter what version of maya you have, you will still have the same functions to model the same way, light, render, animate and texture all the same way.

And sure I dont see why you cant post your progress on this thread, I would think the Professors would welcome that, since you mentioned you are applying to this school.
        -Tyler Durdan

Comment

Thanks again

Alright ill probably go get maya 5 fundamentals at the mall cuz i think i saw it for a pretty decent price. Also thanks for the help dude! I already have my classes for next sememster and im taking drawing 1 and intro to computer graphics cuz i need the prerequisite fro 3d animation. So ill be gettin into 3d animation 1 maybe the 2nd semester hopefully. I cant wait to take that class... thats why i want to get a head start. Well ill be gettin that book lata on today because right now im in class (Digital Graphics) we are using bryce. I actually just created and animation. I have a camera goin through the castle i made and around it. Its alright for a beginner i guess. I jsut dont like Bryce because its very limited and u dont have control. Well thanks for ur help and ill start posting once i make some stuff. CANT WAIT!
          Thanks again for the help

iF its alright with you i would like to keep in touch and ask some questions about some stuff if u didnt mind! thanks

last edit :) hehe... jsut wanted to say nice caricature u have... i saw it on the forums for 3d animation 2.. just wanted to say gj on that
          LATA
          Last edited by Unreal; May 10, 2004, 10:34.

Comment

Not to rain on your parade Unreal, but there are a few prereqs to the track classes. You polish those off in your freshman year and then start the track classes the Fall semester of your Sophomore year.

3D I is a Fall only class.

But it's not a bad idea to start now and get ahead of the curve.
            ‎"Give me $50 worth. Just drive."

Twitter: @ProfClayton & @cgauiw || Facebook: www.facebook.com/ProfClayton || CGAUIW Facebook Group! || CGAUIW Flickr Page || ProfClayton's Vimeo Page

Comment

OOHOOHOOHOOHOOHOOHOOHOOH i didnt know that..... well dang! its ok ill get a big head start hopefully. Thanks for the heads up! well i got my book adn imr eading right now...ill tell u guys how its goin in a couple days. Lata

Comment

eh.. bryce.
                -Tyler Durdan

Comment

Yeah..

Yeah .... bryce is pretty lame if u ask me... just got done with an english vocab test and it was easy. Well cant wait to go home and work on that book! ttyl cya

Comment

Working...
                  X