Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SplitPoly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SplitPoly

Hello
    I am doing the exersize in the maya 4.5 handbook, on page 169 there is a discription of using the splitpolygon tool
    I can not get this to work!
    Even if i only do it on one face i get a
    "Error poly to subdiv(polly to subdiv node ) the conversion to a subdivsion surface failed'
    If after exucuting this you try to lift a hull the underlying geometry does not move with it!
    I do not have the files here but i will post before and after files tommorrow!
    any suggestions
    Thank You

Are you using smooth proxy, regular polys or sub d's? Error poly to subdiv sounds really wierd. I do think the scene file might help a little bit. A screen shot would actually help too.

Comment

The failure was with subd's on the birds head
      (per prof. Watkins excelent maya 4.5 handbook)
      I have uploaded before and after files
      the split file is the failure
      Yes i thought it strange too!
      But i was able to repeat it about 10 times
      Im sure its somthing I am doing wrong

Comment

This should be befor and after files

Comment

Lets see here. Im not so sure that using sub d's for this project would be a good idea mainly because the sub d's are completely different than any other sub d's out there. Meaning there is a lot more to them than just the cage. In mayas sub 's you have standard mode and polygon mode. Polygon mode is where you are at right now and I did not experience any problems splitting the cage with the split poly tool. However, mayas sub d's can get very slow because of polygon mode and standard mode working together.

When you are in standard mode, you can have a very high topology and still manipulate the geometry at the lowest level. This works really good and is a great idea, but when the topology is very high, polygon mode becomes very slow. The split polygon tool has also been known to do some strange things in mayas sub d's like destroying the cage and screwing up the topology.

try using smooth proxy, it is pretty much the same as mayas sub d's, just no standard mode. Smooth proxy is the traditional subdivision surface.

Again, I did not experience any problems with splitting the cage, but because mayas sub d's can be very confusing, people tend to try and split something thats not there. I know it sounds weird, but hey its maya!

Comment

Working...
          X