Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Black Farmer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Farmer

I need some help with making a skin texture in Photoshop with this model. I want to create a very old and worn black man. When I try to create a bump map for wrinkles, it just looks aweful and I just end up putting a cloud texture for the bump map. Any suggestions?

Richard
    www.richardterryclark.com

How are you mapping that material? If you haven't really carefully constructed the UV map, then it gets pretty difficult to get the material across the skin just like you want it.

This is one of the first things we're going to be doing next semester.

Comment

It's just a cloud texture in Maya. I'll render out a version with a photoshop UV map.

Richard

Comment

Here is a low-res version of my attempt at UV maps.

and here is the tif image for it.

I honestly don't know how to create a good texture file. Not one of my strong suits.

Richard

Comment

Looking good...that's a good start. If you have the map creating right so you know where you're drawing then you're half way there.

Remember these tips:[list=1][*]Folds in the skin are hard at the valley of the fold, but soft towards the top; so make sure you use a Brush in Photoshop that has feathered edges[*]Sometimes, its best to draw the creases with a hard edge brush and then go back with a softer edge and lower opacity and go over the wrinkles[*]Remember that you'll be creating a different Color, Bump, and Specular map - the skin is a different color on different parts of the face[*]Just make sure that you are using the same UV map for all three textures (color, bump, and specular)[*]Take careful note of Steven Stahlberg's tutorial on getting the right skin highlights....its excellent (http://www.optidigit.com/stevens/shadetut.html)[/list=1]

If you'd like, send me the Maya file and your Photoshop file and I'll work up a quick test for you to play with.

It's looking good - although you know it doesn't need to be textured when you turn it in right?

Comment

update

This might be as far as I can go with this. Trying to do textures are tougher than I thought.

Richard

Comment

update

Here is what I originally thought for the picture as a black-in-white photo.

Richard

Comment

Looks awsome

Hey your still here? Look's pretty cool.

Comment

Working...
                X