Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Introduction?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Introduction?

Wasn't really sure where to post this, but this was the best place I could find.

Just thought I would say hello to everyone. I'm a student at Judson HighSchool (11th), and I visited your campus a few weeks ago with my computer graphics class. I have been doing graphics for a while now, and I'm not that bad. :P

I'm fluent in Photoshop, Image Ready, Illustrator, and the entire MX Suite. I'm looking to get my hand on the new MX2004 asap, and learn it. I do webdesign, and logos in my spare time, through business recieved on my website, or other webdesign forums. Just a little about me.

I actually also had a few questions.

I'm looking into getting a full 4 year degree, is this offered by the Computer Graphics program you have here? Or is what you have here a technial only degree? Also, if this IS in fact a 4 year "plan" if you will, will I have to take any stupid classes also? (Stupid classes; IE english, math, history, science?) I do good in school, (top 8% atm) but if I can avoid these classes while still being able to get that 4 year diploma, I would like to do that.

Thanks for the help a head of time. Also, be sure to let me know if you all need help with anything, as I would love to help in whatever way I can.

Thanks,
    Jeremy

Hi Jeremy...

I'm looking into getting a full 4 year degree, is this offered by the Computer Graphics program you have here? Or is what you have here a technial only degree? Also, if this IS in fact a 4 year "plan" if you will, will I have to take any stupid classes also? (Stupid classes; IE english, math, history, science?) I do good in school, (top 8% atm) but if I can avoid these classes while still being able to get that 4 year diploma, I would like to do that.
    Yup, this is a full four year degree with a university core that you will have to fulfill.

Here is a breakdown of everything you'ld have to take to complete the core requirements:

http://www.cgauiw.com/~advising

Some of the requirements for the University Core overlap our Core for the CART degree (ie, Photography, Drawing, Aethetics, etc.) so they count for both.

... and no we are not a technical school, we pride ourselves on finding a balance between the technical aspect and design theory.

Check our website for a list of courses that we have in the Print/Web Track here at UIW.

Ask any questions you might have here or by emailing me.

Later...

(BTW, nice screen name...)
    ‎"Give me $50 worth. Just drive."

Twitter: @ProfClayton & @cgauiw || Facebook: www.facebook.com/ProfClayton || CGAUIW Facebook Group! || CGAUIW Flickr Page || ProfClayton's Vimeo Page

Comment

Is this your site?

‎"Give me $50 worth. Just drive."

Twitter: @ProfClayton & @cgauiw || Facebook: www.facebook.com/ProfClayton || CGAUIW Facebook Group! || CGAUIW Flickr Page || ProfClayton's Vimeo Page

Comment

Umm... yeah, I'm thinking about redesigning it though, I just need something new. Was thinking about Flash, although I'm not really sure if I want to be bothered. (I'm rather lazy)

Do you know where I get my screenname from? Just wondering, not many people do, as I don't think it is spelled completely accurate. (Sorta my own spin on it)

/edit - Yeah, the site is a bit old, I updated it a few months ago, but I just never got around to filling everything in. The portfolio is also old, so as soon as I decide to start on a new site, I will get started on an updated portfolio. The tutorial is probably the newest thing on there though. :)

Comment

Re: Introduction?

Originally posted by Keiphus
          I have to take any stupid classes also? (Stupid classes; IE english, math, history, science?) I do good in school, (top 8% atm) but if I can avoid these classes while still being able to get that 4 year diploma, I would like to do that.
          Don't mean to get on a soapbox here; but classes outside of graphics are very important. A liberal arts education means that you are able to be part of the bigger world and communicate on a multitude of levels. If you don't know your history, or can't write, or can't do algebra, what happens when the company hires you to write copy for their brochure that needs to be a trifold that will fit on an 8x10 sheet of paper on a topic like segregation in America.

If all our students know is software, they are forever stuck doing monkey work (technician on the bottom of the foot chain). If they know technical and design, they can move up the ladder to things like designers - but then they'll be stuck there. But, if our students have a solid liberal arts education - i.e. know a second language, have a cultural framework understanding, know their history, can write, figure their own dimensions, have an understanding of psycology, sociology, economics, anatomy etc... - then they can move further to the apex of the design food chain and be an art director. Without those sorts of skills and knowledge, no design firm is going to trust them to interface with clients.

So I would argue that any school that just teaches design/technology is really cheating their students. Power comes from knowledge; broader knowledge means broader power. It's the well rounded, culturally relevant designer that gets the best work, best gigs, and best paychecks.

Comment

You know what really sucks?

That I know you are 100% right. Haha. Ok, thanks alot. My cousin goes to school there at the moment and now that I know it's a full degree I am strongly considering it. I'm not going to like taking more core classes, but I guess I'll probably do fine in them so long as I do my work. I've always had bigger aspirations of maybe going somewhere in California, and taking nothing but full blown graphic art classes, but I guess that just isn't practical. I also would like to stay around all my friends if I can.

Who knows. :)

Comment

You should go wherever you're going to get the best education. If that's in California and your family can afford it, that's where you should go.

However, I think you'd be hard pressed to find a California school (other than the Art Institutes or Art Academy - which opens a whole 'nother can of worms), that only has graphics courses and has a four year degree plan.

I think we have got a fantastic program here at UIW that gets stronger every year. I'd already put our program up against any program around (although we're still maturing in some corners).

Our goal is to be the best anywhere. Not just the city, not just the state. So don't come to UIW because your friends are here in SA; come here because you're ready to work and want to get a good, well rounded, and challenging education.

Comment

best way out of "stupid" classes

Hey Jerermy,

I graduated from Judson last year and now I'm a freshman here at UIW doing the same stuff you will be in a few years, and the absolute best way to reduce your load of "stupid" classes is to work your behind off in high school. Take as many AP tests as you can handle, I highly recommend Mrs. Plowman's BC Calculus since that can get you 6 hours of math credit, which is all of the university's requirement for math. Secondly, you should take CELP tests. Those kinda let you test out of courses and get the credit without actually taking the class. Personally, I took the English Composition CLEP and got 6 hours toward my English core of 9 hours.

So basically, there is no way to totally get out of taking any "stupid" classes, but if you really want to reduce the amount, then take AP classes in high school and do well on the tests and take CLEP tests right before your freshman year.

I hope this helps.

Got a gamertag? check out the thread - http://www.cgauiwtalk.com/showthread.php?t=4828

PS, This is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were eliminated.

Comment

Yeah, although if all else fails, and if you arent successful with the AP, you can still go to a community college to complete all your basics, and trust me man, youill WANT TO GET YOUR CORE OUT OF THE WAY, so you can concentrate fully on your degree.

With in a year and a half ( Fall/spring/summer), you should be able to ge tthe majority of your basics out of the way. Combined with the DC and AP credits I got in highschool, along with about a year and a half at SAC I was able to get about 36 credited hours , I know students who were able to get about 45+ before coming here to UIW, or any other university, same thing, with in a year and a half. Just because you got those out of the way doesnt mean you will have other core you will have to work on later, cause.. well.. you will. I wish I could boot them so I can have more tiem for my friggin 3d. Oh and dont plan on taking more then 3 major courses at a time because with the project(s) you have to do, you'll need all the time you can grasp. All the projects you do for class, go in your Portfolio (the one key thing to getting a job)-not your GPA on your basic math, and englishes, and blahdyblah.)
                  Mind you, this is some damn hard yet fun and challenging work, its not tool junky work, this is the real deal, this is where you stretch out your capabilites of how creative you can be. Heres a brief overview over your time here getting your Bachelors, 1) being creative 2) creating QUALITY creative work, developing a paced work flow, and getting those damn projects in on time.

Oh and one more tip, yer in highschool righ tnow right? well. get as much sleep as you can now... trust me, unless you arent planning on working part time somewhere at the same time just to pay off yer expenses, GET AS MUCH SLEEP AS YOU CAN NOW, not to scare you, but you'll know what I mean when you get into this stuff deep. Cause Sleep is the girlfriend you'll soon break up with, for something much more attractive, and her name is Starbucks, yes and you will surely get hooked on to those Double Shots.
                  It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.
                  -Tyler Durdan

Comment

Otaku_Zero - Are you the guy with the curly brown hair? I think I saw Ridgeway teasing you or something. Anywho, yes I am taking BC Calc next year, I think I should do fine in that. Lucky for me, I'm pretty good with Math.

Professor Watkins - Friends wasn't the only reason I was strongly considering your school. I also heard that it was just a really good school.

I'm trying to take as many AP tests as I can, unfortunately for me, there are too many girls in my history class, and not enough substance to keep me focused on the history. I guess I sort of just always looked down on SAC, but I guess when it comes to such a specialized degree, the core courses aren't really that big of a deal. The portfolio is what will make or break you I guess.

Thanks for all the help and info, much appreciated guys. :)

Comment

Initially anyone freash out of HS with big dreams would look down at a community college. Shoot, I did, Then I looked at the pieces of lint I pulled out of my pockets. Looking at the situation in a financial point of view, UIW is a great school, I have much to thank it for so far, though, mind you, of the 128 hours you must attain to earn your degree, about 50 of those hours are the mindless core curriculum you have to take. It is now about 8000 a semester, one year 16k for a max of 36 hours in that one year. I got the same amount of mindless course hours for a little less then 1800 at SAC (and btw there are a lot of courses at SAC that are surprisingly more difficult there then what UIW teaches here, so dont belittle it cause its a "community college", its still a crap load better then St. Philips and NWV. -so I've heard.), So I thought theres no way I'm gonna pay 16k for stupid courses that are required but have no effect on wheather I'm going to get a job in the industry.

Regardless you'll probably have enough Fafsa FinAid to pay for your tuition, Possibly a full scholarship, but my suggestions are only alternatives in case you hit a bump in the road. There are students here that have come for a year, and realizing this situation, leaving for the next year to finish up at some extension or community College, and then coming back.

Theres just something specific about college and our program, your GPA means squat to whoever interveiws you for a job in the industry.(though of course you want to keep your GPA up so you can continue to get a good amount of FInAId, which is why suggested the SAC plan earlier, that way you can focus full on you degree after you get that crap out of the way) Your portfolio is the result of your time here at UIW in the program, for a person with big dreams, it is quintessentially the very thing that will determine what happens to you after you've recieve your dimploma.

Phew. ok thats enough. good luck I'll cya I'm gonna go play videogames now.
                      -Tyler Durdan

Comment

Thanks, and that leads me to my next question.

What kind of scholarships are available; if any, for this degree?

My cousin got a full scholarship last year for your nursing program, do you guys have anything like that here?

Now that I have been looking at expenses, I have sort of realized how SAC could really come in handy. :P

Comment

Man I ask Watkins that all the time. Sadly no there arent any. But I think I have seen one for film though called the World Studios scholarship but you have to be an active student with an already completed production. At the moment there are only contests that we can somewhat rely on. There are no scholarships at the moment for our program. Gosh I wish.

Right now,there is no specific scholarship available btu the acedemic ones you get when you enter in and hte grants you recieve from fafsa.
                          -Tyler Durdan

Comment

Working...
                          X