Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

good resolution for a facial UV texture?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• good resolution for a facial UV texture?

i was bothered by the way my UV texture looked on my face, something about it didn't look right, the textures looked stretched. then i realized maybe the resolution is too small, as my current one is 512x512. what would be a good size, i don't want to go too big or anything. thanks.
    Pi Studios

Stretched eh? Usually, stretched doesn't mean the resolution is too low (512x512 isn't a bad size (not necessarily the best but not really bad). Stretched usually is a mapping problem.

The process of UV mapping is actually defining what point of the texture will be "pinned" to what point on the model. Think of the texture as a piece of spandex with a grid on it. Where each square of the grid meets iis a hole where a pin can be inserted to pin the cloth down. The UV map on your model defines where these pins (going through the material) are to be pinned.

So, if the distance between a couple of UVs is really close together, there will be quite a bit of material between those two UVs (often in area like the ears); but if the UVs on the surface of the model are too far apart, then the material (the cloth) must stretch to cover the distance.

Stretched materials are almost always a result of some UV problems.

One way to find out if this is really the issue is to make a checkerboard patterened material. Apply this to your model with the current UV setup and see if the checks end up stretched. If you don't have a uniform checkboard patter across your face - you've got stretch.

What projection did you use when you applied the texture?

Comment

i used the planar mapping
      Pi Studios

Comment

Planar mapping is bad news almost always....

Think of planar mapping as a slide projector projecting an image straight against a surface. For a round surface this is bad. Right at the front of the surface, the projected image looks great; however, as the image slides across the side, it stretches out.

A better method of projection for a face is Cylindrical mapping. It's not the best (better is actually to make several projections and sew the UVs together); but for a quick solution, the Cylindrical mapping works decent.

Comment

Working...
        X