Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wootan Grant Program (Postmarked by May 5, 2008)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wootan Grant Program (Postmarked by May 5, 2008)

You might want to check this out:
    The TG Charley Wootan Grant Program will award $2 million in direct grants during the 2008-09 academic year -- $1 million to Texas students and another $1 million to residents of any other state, the District of Columbia, or U.S. territory.

The first-come, first-served, need-based grant program will provide up to $4,245 per student. TG has awarded nearly $6 million since 2000 when it began the program, named in honor of the late Dr. Charley V. Wootan, a former chairman of TG’s board of directors.

“The Charley Wootan Grant Program has made a significant difference to thousands of students in Texas during the past seven years,” said Sue McMillin, TG’s president and CEO. “We are delighted to be able to extend this program nationally, and to help deserving students pay for their college educations.”

For the 2008-09 academic year, TG will offer grants ranging from $1,000 to $4,245 to qualified undergraduate students. Amounts awarded will be based upon a student’s financial need. To become eligible, students will need to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and meet other eligibility requirements.

Grants will be awarded for one year only, but recipients may reapply in subsequent years. The grant program is open to students who:
    • Are high school seniors or graduates who plan to enroll, or are students already enrolled, at least half- time in an undergraduate course of study for the fall 2008 at a Title IV two- or four-year college or university, or vocational-technical school.
    • Demonstrate financial need.
    • Are eligible to receive Title IV federal financial aid funding.

The Charley Wootan Grant Program is independently managed by Scholarship Management Services, a program of Scholarship America, the nation’s largest nonprofit, private-sector scholarship and educational support organization.

A complete application packet must be postmarked by May 5, 2008. An application and more information about the grant program can be found online at http://www.aie.org/wootan. Information can also be obtained by calling (800) 537-4180, and asking for the TG Charley Wootan Grant Program manager.
    NOTE: TG is only going to look at the first 5000 applicants, applications must be complete and received with info all in one envelope, and must be postmarked by May 5.
    ‎"Give me $50 worth. Just drive."

Twitter: @ProfClayton & @cgauiw || Facebook: www.facebook.com/ProfClayton || CGAUIW Facebook Group! || CGAUIW Flickr Page || ProfClayton's Vimeo Page

Thanks for the link sir, I know a lot of people could use the help, including myself. although i have one question... what are these items we have to include with the application...

Student copy of the complete SAR
    School’s complete ISIR

Comment

The first, the SAR is your Student Aid Report. You get it after you complete your fafsa I believe. The ISIR is the Institutional Student Information Record. I'm sure the Financial Aid can help with that one.

Comment

thanks man.

Comment

You know what's awesome? I owe some money to the school that I can't pay right this moment, so I can't get an UNOFFICIAL copy of my transcript. Isn't that great? I told the office it was so I could apply for a grant (and showed them the paperwork) that would let me pay them back. You know, it's like...don't you guys want your money? Seriously, sometimes things are just stupid. I've been struggling semester to semester, year after year, to make ends meet, to pay for school. I swear I never get any damn help from this school. Ok, that's unfair. They give me the same help as anyone else. That is actually a great thing.

I love this quote from UIW, "The primary purpose of financial aid is to provide resources to the students who would otherwise be unable to pursue a post-secondary education. At UIW, we believe that all students should be able to attend the university that best suits their academic and personal needs."

I just never seem to get that kind of help when I need it. It's not like I don't try to help myself, or I'm just trying to let people do things for me. I'm too old for that, I know better, I know how to handle things otherwise I wouldn't even have made it into the school my very first semester. The odds were totally against me from the beginning and it's only my stubborn, mule-ish, hard-headed tenacity that keeps me from quitting. Pretty much I can't fail because I won't quit. This is just one more hurdle.

Sorry for the rant, but sometimes things are just plain against people with little to no resources to help them in life.

Comment

Working...
          X