Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just wondering?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just wondering?

Hi my name is Julian Fitzpatrick and I am most likely going to major in 3d animation at your school next year. I have already been accepted and all. I was just wondering what would be the best computer to have to be doing graphics. Right now i have a amd athlon 2500+,a7n8x deluxe motherboard, 512 ddram, radeon 9700 non pro graphics card. Will that be good enough or should i get a better one. I have money and able to pay for a good computer. Could you just tell me whats best for eevrything like the graphics card and processor and so on. I would really appreciate it and thanks for your help. Cya next year!!

Julian Fitzpatrick
    "Out of Sight, Out of Mind"

Will you be an incoming freshman or a transfer student?

If you're an incoming freshman, it'll be at least a year before you get into the hard-core 3D. So it might be best to save your pennies and buy a new machine when you start in on the 3D Curriculum.

If you are coming in as a transfer and already have a bunch of CART courses, and you'll be moving directly into the 3D program, then it will be more urgent that you have a good machine.

Comment

First year

I will be coming in as a freshmen. Also could you answer a couple of my questions. What will the course be involved in during the first year? Will go over the program we will be using or will we be studying the art of graphics? I just want to know so I can be prepared. I can't wait till college and I can't wait to start doing 3d animation. Thanks for your time. OOPS sorry for making a new thread i accidently pressed the wrong button.... i think i have been up awake too long time for bed. Cya

Julian Fitzpatrick

Comment

The first year, we make sure that students understand two main things:

a) the core tools for all of computer graphic arts.
        b) the core ideas of design

Primarily, this means that you know PHotoshop and Illustrator; so we spend some good time to get in depth with those applications.

There are classes taht you take that are strictly focused on desing and aesthetics. The reality is no matter how well you know software, if your designs are ugly - no one will buy them.

After freshman know the core tools and know how to use them to design, then they move on to 3D or Web/Print.

Comment

School

Im taking a digital graphic class in my high school right now. We are learning illustrator and photoshop and they are very good programs. Soon we will begin with Bryce and that should be fun i can't wait. I have Maya at my house and i have been fooling around with that. It is very hard to use since i have not been taught it. I encounter many problems but I try to fix them(really hard when I don't have a teacher to help me). Thanks for the help and I may ask more questions if its alright with you about the curriculum. Thanks again!

Julian Fitzpatrick

Comment

Eww Bryce. Its grade A top choice poop. Right down there next to Poser (which is the perfect name for this program compared to all the other pro 3d aps.) but if you gotta get your toes wet before diving in.. oh well.

uh ohhh.... *gasp*.. he's gottt.. mmmmaaaayyyaa.......... tsk tsk heheh... well cant get anywhere if you dont start somewhere.

=)

I r antipirate.
            It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.
            -Tyler Durdan

Comment

Be nice Will.

Comment

ok. wow. yay. Bryce. Poser. weeeee. they rock beyond words.
                It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.
                -Tyler Durdan

Comment

Originally posted by Unreal
                  Hi my name is Julian Fitzpatrick and I am most likely going to major in 3d animation at your school next year. I have already been accepted and all. I was just wondering what would be the best computer to have to be doing graphics. Right now i have a amd athlon 2500+,a7n8x deluxe motherboard, 512 ddram, radeon 9700 non pro graphics card. Will that be good enough or should i get a better one. I have money and able to pay for a good computer. Could you just tell me whats best for eevrything like the graphics card and processor and so on. I would really appreciate it and thanks for your help. Cya next year!!

Julian Fitzpatrick
                  That Asus mobo (a7n8x-e deluxe) seems to be a pretty good one(I just got one)...however, to get everything out of the motherboard that it has to offer you would need at least an AMD Athlon XP 3200+ which can run on 400 Mhz FSB and DDR 400 PC 3200 Ram (look at the mobo manual for the most compatible brands of RAM and they run about $90 - $110 for 512MB modules)
                  1 to 1.5 gigs of ram should be enough with windows 2K/XP or later (all the earlier versions only allow up to 512 megs anyway)

As far as Video cards go...maya doesn't like ATI Radeon cards very much so look at NVidia instead next time you upgrade...Really their isn't much difference between the two brands (one is a Mustang and the other is a Camero) I don't like either one a whole lot but I can't afford a Porsche Carrera yet.
                  "The artist is nothing without the gift, but the gift is nothing without work."
                  - Emile Zola (1840-1902)

"Do, or do not. There is no try."
                  - Yoda ('The Empire Strikes Back')

Comment

Thank you for the advice everyone....sry i havent been on the forums lately but i have had school and soccer. Yeah Bryce is the worst program i have ever used. I hate it but like u said i got to start somewhere. But we are building a scene for an animation and im making a castle. It looks pretty tight. If i can ill try to upload a couple pics of it here just to see what u guys think of it. Yeah i got maya and i have tried it. Very hard program to learn without being taught. Ive tried tutorials but they are mostly intermediate level and they think that you know where all the options are. I cant wait to get to incarnate word and start up 3d animation. Ive always been interested in it. Thanks for the computer help and i guess i wills ee some of you guys next year hopefully. Lata

Julian Fitzpatrick

Comment

Working...
                    X