Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RAVE Alert System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RAVE Alert System

The university has put into place a system of alerting you (via text messages on your cel phone) of emergency, class cancelation, or other extremely important messages.

It's called the RAVE. You can sign up for it at:

Please consider snagging this. They won't send you gratuitous messages; but if (heaven forbid) some student goes postal (as in Virginia Tech), the RAVE system can let you know whether to flee the campus, or stay where you are, etc....

It'd be nice to have that sort of alert system with you all the time.

It's so sad to see that society has succumbed to this, but I'm glad UIW has done something to forewarn students. Time to change things people, it's been too long and life is too short...
    JCF3D

Spiderwoodstudios

Comment

Too bad I don't have text messaging on my phone. :( I feel slightly less safe not being able to sign up for this! ^_^;

EDIT: Nevermind, I'm still able to sign up but they could only contact me through e-mail. Good thing I check my e-mail like 3 times a day! ^_^
      [sarcasm] I hate anime and Dance Dance Revolution! [/sarcasm]

"Comic Sans and Papyrus!? What foul villainy is transpiring in this office!?" -The Graphic Avenger

Comment

I signed up a while back, but since most professors forbid you to even have a phone on vibrate it wont really help much of us. :\ Maybe the school should change their policies on that as well.
        ~Deannie Martin
        "A Metal Heart is hard to tear apart!" ~Hammerfall

That's NO good!

Comment

Originally posted by FakersInc View Post
          I signed up a while back, but since most professors forbid you to even have a phone on vibrate it wont really help much of us. :\ Maybe the school should change their policies on that as well.
          Not trying to be rebellious or anything, but most people (IE, me) have their phone on vibrate all the time, regardless of what the professor says... that and I've never had a professor tell me to turn my phone completely off.. We live in a time where literally EVERYONE has a cell phone, the professors understand this and most of them don't have a problem with it being on vibrate.... I'm not quite sure what you're alluding to.

Comment

I agree, nobody turns their phone completely off... doing that just sucks battery power anyway. Besides, I thought the point of the RAVE alert was mostly to inform people not to go to class for whatever reason, so the whole vibrate issue seems irrelevant. Unless I'm misunderstanding this whole alert thing...?

Comment

well there' s an alarm that would go off in case of emergencies it gets tested regulary, I'm sure you've heard the bull horns. I think rave is mainly for those off campus and or not in class. If you're in class and hear the alarm you'd probably check your messages for the info from rave alert.
              http://esquivel3d.com

Future member of the Brain Trust.

Method Animator

Comment

Ive always wondered what that sound was. I cant get text messaging and I don't check my email enough. :(
                CERVUS LACESSITUS LEO

"What is a chair? It's ahh...anti-gravity device." Glen Keane

Comment

Here's a thought, get over yourselves and be a friend.
                  JCF3D

Spiderwoodstudios

Comment

Originally posted by SublimeOne View Post
                    Here's a thought, get over yourselves and be a friend.
                    when I got over myself I didnt find anyone :(

"Ah, beer. The cause of and the solution to all of life's problems.

Homer Simpson"

sigpic

Comment

...doesn't having your phone on suck more batteries then having it off?! O_o; I turn mine off a lot, but it is only for emergencies, I don't do the whole, chatting and texting thing. :P

I haven't heard the horns myself, maybe they only do it when I'm off campus, hm.

Comment

Working...
                      X