Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone good with "fur"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone good with "fur"?

I'm having a problem with using "fur" in a scene of mine. I would attach the fur to the object (In this case a polygon smooth proxy), I would make sure the fur was enabled, and when I went to render it, none of it would show up. I've tried to use it with a simple box in a clean document and it seems to work there, so I would import the object with fur into my project and it still wouldn't render out. I then tried to use a nurbs object and place fur on that and it wouldn't work. I also tried to clear the history on the object as well as the entire project and it still wouldn't render the fur.I think there is something wrong with my scene but I can't figure out what. I given up hope. Anyone out there with a solution?

Richard
    www.richardterryclark.com

If you are using fur, Im guessing you are using unlimited. I dont use fur too much mainly because it is really not that great. Paint effects hair is awesome though. It only works on nurbs surfaces, but there are ways around it. You can apply pfx hair to curves, so you can just draw out curves and attach the hair to that. Also if you have maya 5, after you have the pfx on the surfaces you want and you have the look you want, then you can convert the pfx to polygons, enabling you to render in mental ray. In the case you want fur stuff, there are brushes in pfx that use fur instances. Most of them are hair, but you can alter the shape of the hair and make them shorter in length to make fur. But since you want fur and are using a poly shape you can stick some nurbs geometry inside the poly stuff and on you go with some fur. Also when using pfx, pay very close attention to the attribute editor for the pfx nodes, they are your best friends!

Also if you need any mel scripts, or certain actions in maya you want great shortcuts for, like maybe a slider for bending shapes or something like that, dont hesitate to ask because Im learning mel scripting right now and Ive already started on my first big script.

Your current problem might be result of your surface normals. Check and see if all the normals are pointing in the same direction. If you go to display - polygon componets - normals, you should be able to see the geometries normals. If they are all pointing in the same direction, make sure you check out the fur rendering globals in the furs menu. If you are still having trouble, then call alias wavefront and tell them that fur sux and use pfx. Oh yeah, also make sure that you are using the maya render instead of mental ray cause fur only works in maya render.
    Last edited by Isrithe; July 17, 2003, 09:37.

Comment

Could I get your email address?

Richard
      clarkartist@yahoo.com

Comment

t6_covah@hotmail.com

or

isrithe@satx.rr.com

Comment

Richard,

Are you rendering iwth Maya software renderer or built in Mental Ray?

Comment

The Maya software renderer.

Richard

Comment

Post your file and we'll take a look at it.

Maya's fur isn't really great (although the new wet fur ideas look like there's promise); but in general the industry isn't really happy with it. If they were things like Shave & a Haircut (Joe Alter) wouldn't be out.

But still, post the stuff and we'll take a look.

Comment

The wet fur thing does sound interesting, but then again I have never been happy with results with any kind of fur creation in maya unless it was a plugin other than fur.
                Shave and Haircut I hear is pretty good for maya, but I dont have the couple hundred dollars it costs to fork over. I will just stick with pfx.

Maybe later I could write a script that would enable users to make hair at the click of a button. It would be using pfx's resources of course, but all the settings would be there. That would take some time though. I better call and order some mountain dew.

Comment

Working...
                X