Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paint effects - a blessing in disguise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint effects - a blessing in disguise

All of you who thought paint effects in Maya was nothing but a useless tool will hopefully go through an intervention.

Paint effects at first glance seems to be a fast way to do things with no work at all.
    But let us remember that Maya is built on a node based architecture and we should explore all that Maya has to offer.

I explored deep into paint effects finding a treasure chest of tools to use, not a way to make things easy. Animating the effects can be troublesome at times, but if you stick with it, you will get great results. There are so many features in paint effects I could not believe my eyes and the tools to animate the effects were all over the place.

In paint effects you can make thorny vines crawl or grow up trees, in and out of corpses, through the ground, etc... Not just vines either, there are glows, clouds, buildings (kinda wierd) flames, water, space stuff and much more.

Basically if you didn’t already know, paint effects is more than just painting stuff to look pretty. And trust me there is enough work to be done when using paint effects. The best part of it is, its freaking fun to animate this stuff.

You have stuff like global scale or brush width and make some cool stuff out of it. That’s not it though, you have gravitational forces, winds, twists, bends, and so much more. Paint effects is actually like a different type of particle system, more like a cousin to the great old particle system. Its actually kinda like a pre-made particle system or something, but without the animated particles. When I first used paint effects I thought that it was easy, you know create a tree or some hair, but when it came time to animate the stuff, I had to become familiar with the array of tools. Do not underestimate the power of paint effects, and if you are a Maya user, spend some time exploring the deep Mel scripted environment.
Working...
X