Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RIAA to Sue Fileswappers (PART I)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIAA to Sue Fileswappers (PART I)

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has heard this. The Recording Industry Association of America is going to be gathering evidence from Kazaa and Morpheous to crackdown on all the file sharing.

To gather evidence, the RIAA says it's using software to scan public directories available to any user of a P2P network. The software then downloads information on users who make files available to the P2P networks, recording data such as what file is being offered and when it was made available. The only way to ensure you're not a target of the RIAA is to disable your software's ability to trade files, or get rid of the software altogether. --Tech TV
    If they got around Napster when the powers that be got after it, they can probably get around this too, right?

Can they really come after us? Anyone know anything else about this?

~Mojosalsa
    "I wouldn't sell any of your graphic design books. Now your english and science books...sell those and use the money to go drink" -Prof. Johnson

I've had several talks with Prof Watkins about situations like this. It is possible they can get you and kazaa p2p servers are already screwed...... but really, think about it... we arent the only ones that are downloading music or movies. Just about the whole world is; and no I'm not using that statement for the encouragement or as an arguement to why one should download shared files. Unfortunately, it's clear that if people can get something for free, then they will, regardless of their ignorance. Just the other day I was getting some extra ram at my friends computer shop. And one of his usual customer's, who is an officer of the law (he had his uniform on), came in to have a conversation some how the subject became about downloading shared files. THe officer was talking about how he does this stuff all the time cause its free and he SPECIFICALLY MENTIONED-" I'm not going to stop until they notify more or warn me, cause according to the law they cant touch you without personally notifying the wrong that you are doing first."- I was like woa...

OK I'm not generalizing, but I'm sure there are more cops like him as well as other types of enforcers of the law out there that are just as ingnorant as the majority of civilians with home computers.

I personally dont use Kazaa, its stupid. Indeed there are other ways of getting shared files, and I'm not talking about other P2P servers, like Edonkey, Emule, Limewire, WinMX, or Grockster. Those are stupid too.

But anyways, like I said, of the 2 billion humans living on this planet, I'm pretty sure half of which have a computer at home primarily to send email, chat, and download music or other files. Feds can track you by IP, but that can easily be handled by unplugging and replugging your modem everyday, and Viola!!! A new IP address!!!!! tee.. hee.. tee..hee..hee..hee

Really you shouldnt have to worry about this, that is if.. you are doing this stuff.. and targetting users of those p2p servers isnt going to do jack. Cutting off the tail of a lizard is useless, its going to grow back anyways.

But piracy is like a snake in the garden of Eden, the only way you can kill it is by chopping off its head. The problem is.. this is no ordinary snake, this type of snake adapts...rather anticipates... every swing.. of the blade that tries to strike it.
    It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.
    -Tyler Durdan

Comment

Well, Im sorry to say, but have you guys ever tried file sharing through irc? well kazza or other p2p programs are obsolete compared to what you can do with a chat client only.... sorry but even if they get users using kazza, it will be impossible in order to obtain and smak down all users that share files. They even had a piece of this on the oriely factor, in which the govt's main concern is not the sharing of files, but instead its other more serious crimes that exists (internet fraud, ect.) those are the ones which should be delt with the most and which is being delt with the most. On top of this, we are not public enemy #1 when it comes to the sharing and piracy of files. Russia for instance has over 80% of there software that is pirated. Also if you look at the groups who do cracks for games and software like Dev1ance and Razor 1191 they are mostly groups in britain and russia.

Comment

Like stated, a lot of people in the planet do this daily. If you ask me, prosecuting file-sharers (probably a couple billion people) is a waste of time, especially if this kind of thing will not die that easily. I say they can better use this effort for MORE IMPORTANT THINGS, such as heavier crimes like murder. Hell, it'd probably be more cost effective to nuke a city than to hunt down all the file sharers living within it. Seriously (although you would get the "innocent" at the same time).

Excuse the graphic nature of that example. I just strongly believe it to be a ridiculous waste of effort.
        (JIHAUS = Ben Yumol)

Comment

File sharers are nice people. They share!
          Why do we download music for free? Because its too freakin expensive for a cd and not only that, most of the time you only like one song from a certain band and buying the cd is really a waste of money. Of course there are some bands that have an array of great songs on one cd, these are called greatest hits!

Comment

Also how is it stealing? if I take a machine and clone another car, then drive it off the lot using my machine, is that realy stealing?

Comment

A few things to note:[list=1][*]You don't have to be warned before being arrested, sued, or jailed for breaking the law. How many times have you heard a cop say, "Ignorance is no excuse"? If you break the law, regardless of whether you knew you were breaking the law, or if you were warned, the consequences are the same.[*]The RIAA is indeed going after individual users. Hundreds of them....see: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2003Jun25.html[*]Yes, swapping files is stealing. Consider the following example: You as a digital artist/designer spends 3 months of your life creating an amazing webpage. Some site swapper or lazy designer comes and "swaps" your page - just steals the design for his own use. Even if he doesn't sell the webpage, you are uncompensated for your 3 months of work. He has indeed 'stole' money from your pocket. Musicians and animators are the same. If they/we create something, and people use it without permission, or copy their purchased copy and give it to others (who then do not purchase it), the musician/animator has been stolen from - they have less money than they would if people were honest with the assets.
              When you buy a DVD of Monsters Inc. are you paying $15 for the actual plastic and disc inside? Of course not. You are purchasing the right to view the content at your discretion. You are purchasing the right to view other people's creative efforts. Stealing is more than removing a physical object from a store without paying. Especially since it isn't the physical object that you are paying for.[*]We as digital creators should be especially sensitive to these issues. Someday, we are going to want companies to pay us for our creations and our creative efforts. If the company's sales are hurt by file swapping (swapping games, movies, or tv episodes), guess who's out of a job?[*]We as consumers are the ultimate victims as well. I know of at least 3 game companies who's sales declined so precipitously due to file-swapping that they closed their doors. This just means there are 3 less companies creating games. This doesn't just mean that there is a smaller quantity of games - it means that there is less competition and ultimately less quality.[*]As a producer of content, it is my livelihood that is being threatened by file sharers. Since the people who track down file sharers are different folks than those who find murderers, rapists, etc...It is not a matter of either/or. Since it is a matter of feeding my family, I would hope that my tax dollars would go toward catching those who steal my digital content.[*]Finally, its becoming clear that many, many folks, when presented a legal alternative will take it as opposed to the illegal one. Apple's online .99 cent/song store has cleared the 6 MILLION songs sold mark. Considering this is just on Apple brander computers (less than 3% of the market), this is a staggering amount. Other competing services which are getting started and will be available on PC are sure to double that amount in its first week or so.[/list=1]

I think the real issue is that we are creative artists. Whether the practice is legal or not is really secondary to the issue that swapping is really unethical (both unethical as consumers and unethical as part of the production framework that y'all want to become a part of). True, swapping takes money out of the bottom line of the big corporations, but these big corporations pass their losses on to the consumers by ceasing to sign new artists and slowing production. Ultimately hurting the artist and us as the consumer.

Ultimately our economy is founded on the idea of paying what you use unless the producer gave it away for free. Students have lived their life almost entirely as a consumer - but someday, these same students will be a producer or consumable products. I hope that by that time they have the file swapping under control a bit more, or these same students will be hard pressed to find a job.

Personally, I file swap to check something out (like test driving a car, or browsing a store, or playing a game at Best Buy). And if I like it, I buy it. If I"m going to use it for more than the test, I buy it. I consider it my small contribution to the future of my student's careers :-)

Comment

Agreed adam, my point 2 posts higher though is that the real big problem is the people over seas that are mainly responsible for the misuse of another artists creation (which is what it is). They are the main reason for the problems of file swapping, cracking, basic outright stealing and debauchery. On top of that it supports terrorist groups and other forms of dispicable crimes. I cant think of a group within the US that does this sort of work, and if they were even mentioned, they would deserve to be punished. I do it only to test as you do. I cant think of anything on my comps that hasnt been purchased yet.

Comment

I agree with Adam's try-it-before-you-buy-it methodology when it comes to dl-ing programs or music. I've purchased more music in the last two years that I did in the last 5 years before that. If I like the music, I'll support the artist by buying it.

I love Apple's new strategy for purchasing music on-line. Come on, a song for $.99 or the whole album for $9.99, that's a better deal than most sales at CC or BB.
                  ‎"Give me $50 worth. Just drive."

Twitter: @ProfClayton & @cgauiw || Facebook: www.facebook.com/ProfClayton || CGAUIW Facebook Group! || CGAUIW Flickr Page || ProfClayton's Vimeo Page

Comment

I know one victim of file sharing is doing all right. He can still afford his many houses, cars, etc. I think he'll be okay.
                    Last edited by romeoandjuliet146; July 9, 2003, 22:47.

Comment

Is it true that everytime you turn on your computer, it sends signals to microsoft? like a content-listing of whats on your HD?
                      It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.
                      -Tyler Durdan

Comment

XP!

I think the big brothers from Microsoft have been using WinXp for that purpose. In order to complete the WinXp installation, you must register it online. I did a few install, and it only took a few minutes. But I bet the Big brothers at MS can easily peek at what I have under the hood. For my own personal use, I stay away from WinXp and future development from the MS big brothers. Anyways that is why I am sticking with my Apple! I love it to death! A Reborn Mac Lover! hehe

Comment

hey..i just found this online today:

"Music fans are fighting back with technology, using new software designed specifically to stymie monitoring of their online activities by the major record labels.

A new version of "Kazaa Lite," free software that provides access to the service operated by Sharman Networks Ltd., can prevent anyone from listing all music files on an individual's machine and purports to block scans from Internet addresses believed to be associated with the RIAA."

Kazaa Lite...that's all i have to say ;)

Comment

Yeah, I go by the try and buy system myself...If I could find the stuff I'm getting through such programs I'd buy them, but some of them are a little harder to find. This kind of thing also somewhat advertises newer musicians and stuff anyway.
                            (JIHAUS = Ben Yumol)

Comment

RIAA has begun the fight

The first subpeona is out. The list of kazaa users that the RIAA is going after to start with is there. Most of them are in the Washington DC area. The first settlement (for $12,000) has happened.

Note, that there are several who are Kazaa-Lite users. Are you on the list?

Comment

Working...
                              X