Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VA Tech requires their art students to purchase a...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VA Tech requires their art students to purchase a...

... a 17" Powerbook! That's $3200... be thankful you only pay $2k for your ThinkPads. While I think that the 17" PB is a great machine, that's just a load of dough I'd rather spend on a good portable and good desktop.

Link to the article

University art departments requiring 17-inch PB
    By Dennis Sellers dsellers@maccentral.com
    June 03, 2003 7:25 am ET

Virginia Tech's Department of Art & Art History is requiring the new 17-inch PowerBook for all of their incoming students in Graphic Design, Studio Art, and Art History.

"This is the fifth year of our Apple PowerBook requirement," Scott Chandler of Virginia Tech's Art Department told MacCentral. "The PowerBooks are an essential tool for our students in print design, interactive design, and core curriculum classes. Last year most of our students converted to OS X, ahead of a majority of the faculty. This year we've finished that transition, getting faculty updated as well as all three departmental computer labs."

This year the faculty unanimously supported the continuation of both the Mac OS requirement and the laptop platform requirement. Airport networking went from a suggested component to a required one, as well.

"Our first requirement in 1998 was for a PowerBook G3 with 192 MB of RAM," Chandler said. "Our newest machine offers 1.6 times the screen real estate, 15 times the internal storage, internal Firewire, Wi-Fi compatible networking and a DVD-burner in a package that weighs one pound less than that first required Mac."

He added that school officials feel that the 17-inch PowerBook will have a feature set that not only meets students' immediate needs, but provides them with a viable machine for their entire time spent at Virginia Tech. The higher learning institution, located at Blacksburg, Virginia, is home to eight colleges and a graduate school.
    Last edited by ProfClayton; June 19, 2003, 05:30.
    ‎"Give me $50 worth. Just drive."

Twitter: @ProfClayton & @cgauiw || Facebook: www.facebook.com/ProfClayton || CGAUIW Facebook Group! || CGAUIW Flickr Page || ProfClayton's Vimeo Page

Laptops

Whew, for a second there I thought you meant 32,000. For that much I would be hoping those things would be loaded to the max with software. 3,200 isn't too bad if there were more grants available. I think it's a little harsh to have it as a definite requirement to be in the program. Shouldn't be the tool but the talent of the person who will be creating the graphics. Nice laptop but a little expensive for the average student without some more grant help.
    Can you hear me now?

Comment

i'd rather get the 17" PB for more money than the crappy laptops we get from here.

Comment

Working...
      X